A Tale of Two Lists…. It was the fluffyist list, it was the cheesiest list…. Below is the information (shamelessly stolen from http://www.akaranseth.com/blog) on our new contest. Thank you to Mathieu for doing this write-up (from the one armed writer).
We’ve recently launched a contest with the help of our friends Mathieu Fontaine and Justin from Secret Weapon Miniatures. Basically, what They are asking from you, is to send us army lists. From these, both Justin and Mathieu will chose one which They will later build. They’re looking for two lists, one 1750 points and another 2000 points. Note that these two lists need to be similar in essence. They are not looking to build and paint 3750 points. Therefore, the cost difference should be a simple addition/replacement.
They are both fervent defenders of fluff. They love the 40k universe for how it is portrayed by Games Workshop and its incredible team of artists. Sticking to this will be your first step in gaining our vote. Blood Angels are bloodthirsty rampaging Space Marine so do not expect us to chose your shooty list of red marines. The classic argument of “it’s in the book so I can do it” does not mean anything to us. So make sure to respect what each armies represent.
They are not looking for the winning list. They want a composition that is well balanced and that will be fun and challenging. Bashing the skulls of our opponent while eating a falafel is no fun. In fact They do not mind losing as long as the army is fun to play with. So avoid the heavy hitters from the big tournaments type of list.
We’ll evaluate your submissions over the next few episodes. Justin and Mathieu will both select the winning lists in mid/end November. Note that there is no sure win here. Both Justin and Mathieu will be choosing a list based on our personal preferences.
Here is what Mathieu looking for:
- First and foremost I want to avoid Finecast as much as possible. So try to avoid too many of the special units made of finecast. I do not mind a few here and there, like the HQs, but I want to avoid all the bubble filling.
- Character is key. I do not mean named characters but an army with character, soul, a theme. I want something out of the ordinary, something that will stand out as a list. When I say that I want something that will stand out I definitely do not mean Necrons in Hawaiian shirts or pink with flowers…
- I love vehicles and low count armies. I am opened to high numbers list but it will be a factor of evaluation for me.
The absolute no (I will not consider any list from these armies):
- Tyranids – I like the look of them but I really do not want to paint them.
- Tau – Had an army once and not looking back .
- Sisters – Unless they have new plastic kit during this contest, which is unlikely.
- Grey Knights – I am sick and tired of seeing them everywhere.
- No allies except for Chaos Space Marines with Daemons.
Mathieu’s top 3 choices (note that the winning list will not necessarily be chosen from these but…):
- Word Bearers
Obviously, for this one, it would be better if you wait for the new codex and with the length of this contest, you have plenty of time. I have always love this chapter. The Dark Apostles giving speeches, turning masses toward the true Emperor, what could be better. From all the chaos chapters, this one is definitely my favorite. So with new masses of cultists to back this one it is definitely back on my top list.
- Cavalry/bike heavy list
The 40k army I would really like would be a full cavalry Imperial Guard army similar to a WWII Polish Uhlans. Unfortunately, the actual Imperial Guard codex does not make it possible which is why it is not number 1 here. But if someone can propose an interesting cavalry concept with 30 rough riders, I will definitely consider it with great interest. In this case do not worry too much with the plastic range as most of the army would be converted with swaps from various other companies. Full bike space marine list or thunderwolf cavalry list (which might turn out as 13th legion…) would also be tempting.
- Space Marines
Always loved them always will. Would be the perfect occasion to make a pre-heresy list.
Every other armies, except those present in the absolute no section, will be considered. In the end who knows what I will chose.
Here are Justin’s preferences.
He will have more details on his site shortly:
- Like Mathieu I prefer plastic models. I’ll take a Finecast character but…
- Character is key for me too – but I enjoy character models as much as I do armies with character. An army that comes with a fluffy background is just easier for me to get excited about.
- The army must include at least some vehicles but doesn’t have to rely on them.
The “no thank you” armies:
- Tyranids – what Mathieu said.
- Infantry heavy Eldar or Dark Eldar armies – I like the vehicles and support models but don’t really like the infantry options for either army.
- Chaos Demons – I love the models but don’t want to paint 1,000,000 static models for my army.
The “Top 3″ armies:
- Chaos – Chaos Space Marine and Renegade armies are always welcome.
- Classic Space Marines – as in an army with characters that would give me an excuse to have a lot of Forge World armor kits on hand.
- Witch Hunters – I’m with Mathieu on holding out for plastic Sisters… but if you can come up with an Inquisition army that’s playable you’ll have my attention. Allies are acceptable but shouldn’t be the main thrust of the army.
All the lists have to be sent directly to the Screaming Heretic crew at info [at] screamingheretic [dot] com.
The author of the list I will be choosing will received a brand new Omni 4000 airbrush from Badger (retail value of 145$). Justin will be giving a $100 gift certificate from Secret Weapon. So open your army books and build us a list!