Its that time of year again! Rock-Con! Below we have some information from their website and detail on the painting contest as well as the Warhammer 40K Gentlemen’s Grand Tournament running there.
The convention features historical and fantasy miniature gaming, collectible miniatures, role playing, collectible card and board gaming events covering the entire spectrum of adventure gaming.
Player admission for Rock-Con 2011 is $8.00 for Friday evening, $15 for Saturday, $8.00 for Sunday until 4pm. If you register for the whole weekend at the door, you will pay only $22.00. If you pre-register by October 9th then the price is $20 for the weekend. Children under 12 get in free.
November 4th-6th, 2011
Rock-Con 2011 will be held at the ISC (Indoor Sports Center) building, located conveniently off of Interstate 90. We have 22,000 sq. ft. of area to use for games and the dealer’s area. There is a full sit-down restaurant/bar overlooking the convention floor. The location is within easy driving distance of many fast food and fine dining restaurants with mainstream and ethnic food choices. This year the ISC will have concessions in the gaming area. Concessions will serve pop, pizza, hot dogs and chips, as well as, coffee, donuts and muffins in the morning. There are 6 recommended hotels and inns located within approximately 5 miles of the convention site.
Wedgebury Indoor Sports Center, 8800 East Riverside Blvd, Rockford (Loves Park), Illinois 61111
Pedal to the Metal – Miniature Painting Contest
Friday 4 pm to 7 pm, Saturday 10 am to 1 pm–NEW TWIST THIS YEAR
Howard Hues® paint lines will be sponsoring this 5th Annual Painting Event. The painting contest is open to registered/paid convention attendees. A nominal entry fee of $3.00 per entry for the competition will be donated to the American Red Cross for our Overseas Service Personnel. Select from figures, prepped, primed and based prior to the event for this competition. Participants will need to complete a registration form at the beginning of each session. Only one figure is eligible for submission for per session. Entries must be painted on site during a single session. There will be 3 session levels this year–90 minute NOVICE–45 minute EXPERIENCED–20 minute MASTERS. All entries are held until the judging on Saturday at 3:00-4:00 pm and your miniatures can be picked up at 6 pm. Prizes will be awarded. RockCon 2009 would like to thank Reaper Miniatures, Iron Wind Metals, Howard Hues Paints for sponsoring this event. Please stop by and check it out.
Pedal to the Metal Entry Form
Pedal to the Metal – 2 Hour Timed Painting Contest
Competition Rules and Regulations
1. I understand entries must be made in-person by the painter. Any entry proven to be painted by anyone other than the entrant will be disqualified. I will forfeit all prizes and be barred from entry for future RockCon competitions.
2. I agree to pay a nominal competition entry fee of $3.00 per model that will be subsequently donated to this year’s designated charity.
3. Entrants must use supplies provided. This includes, but is not limited to paints, brushes, figures, glue, tools and lighting.
4. I understand each session must have at least four submissions or be combined and judged with another session, per management decision.
5. I understand all models must be painted to completion within one of the three level sessions : 90 min. NOVICE — 45 min. EXPERIENCED — 20 min. MASTER.
6. I agree to submit my entry at the end of the session and acknowledge it will be held until judging on Saturday afternoon after the last session.
7. I agree entries may be photographed. See further information below.
8. I agree RockCon Staff, Volunteers and competition management cannot be held responsible for damaged or lost miniatures. We treat all miniatures with respect and will do our best to keep them safe.
9. I agree all decisions of the judges and management will be final.
10. Entries and prizes must be picked up by 6 pm on Saturday, or I agree to pay shipping and handling for my entry(ies) and prize(s) to be mailed. If I fail to reply to their attempts to contact me by phone or by email within 1 month of the end of the convention, prizes will be forfeit and entries still in their possession will become property of the convention.
11. My signature on this form indicates I agree to photography of myself and/or miniatures by the convention staff, volunteers and/or the competition management, as well as other media persons with an interest in showcasing miniatures of this event. RockCOn management will request that no pictures be published by print or Internet without information on the figure(s), the painter’s name and this event, but cannot guarantee compliance in all cases or by media not associated with the convention.
The Gentlemen’s Grand Tournament at Rock-Con
A five game, two-day 40K tournament reminiscent of the Grand Tournaments of old!
For one blood-soaked weekend, there is only war.
New for 2011
- More prizes! More winners! And surprises in store for the top winners in each Gentlemenly victory category!
- Gamer-friendly schedule! Drink all you like! You can (almost) sleep in!
- Improved terrain! More of what we all like in our 40K gaming!
Players Up to 30 players may participate. Sign up early to reserve your spot!
Tournament Registration Fee$10.00
Registration You must pay for convention registration and the tournement fee to play in the tournament. Reserve your spot by calling Regal Noble at 866-776-6739 or emailing them at info [at] rock-con [dot] com and paying your registration fee.
Format 3 games on Saturday, 2 games on Sunday. Opening round pairings will be determined randomly, Swiss pairings thereafter.
Armies Armies may be selected from any currently published Codex book from Games Workshop.
- Codex: Black Templars
- Codex: Blood Angels
- Codex: Chaos Daemons
- Codex: Chaos Space Marines
- Codex: Grey Knights
- Codex: Dark Angels
- Codex: Dark Eldar
- Codex: Eldar
- Codex: Imperial Guard
- Codex: Necrons
- Codex: Orks
- Codex: Sisters of Battle
- Codex: Space Marines
- Codex: Space Wolves
- Codex: Tau Empire
- Codex: Tyranids
The official Games Workshop Errata/FAQ documents are required and will be employed at the Gentlemen’s GT.
Points Limit and Army Lists Army lists shall total no more than 1,850 points. Players must use the same army list for the entire tournament. Players must share their army list with their opponent before each game begins.
Models All models must be fully assembled.
All models must be painted, based, and flocked. Any model that is not fully painted using at least three different colors and/or is not on a painted/flocked base (for models that require bases, of course; don’t worry about mounting your Defilers!) may not be used for any reason.
All models must be WYSIWYG. This rule is primarily focused on wargear and similar upgrades. The in-game abilities of every model should be apparent and represented.
Conversions and “counts as” are allowed and highly encouraged—and might even earn you a special prize!—but the “Reasonable Gentleman” rule will be in effect. Conversions and “counts as” substitutes must be clearly discernible and must be done either for necessity (e.g., because an official model does not exist) or for artistic effect. Lazy “counts as” conversions will not be allowed. I.e., You cannot mount a shoebox on a post and call it a Stormraven. Nor can you substitute combi-meltas for combi-plasmas on your Space Marines just because you don’t actually have combi-plasmas. On the other hand, building a detailed Stormraven out of cardboard or repurposing Tau plasma rifles or missile pods to represent Ork big shootas or rokkits for your characterful Ork Waaagh! are perfectly acceptable.
If you are concerned about any of your conversions, please contact the event organizer rather than wait until the day of the event.
Finally, all players must supply 3 objective markers between 40mm and 60mm in diameter. Players are strongly encouraged to build and paint custom objective marker models themed to match their army, though this is not required.
Missions Each round will feature a unique combination of rules and objectives primarily derived from the standard missions in the Warhammer 40,000 rules. (I.e., They will feature some mixture of scoring objectives with Troops, accruing Kill Points, and/or accruing Victory Points, though variant mission objectives may also feature.) There will be Primary, Secondary, and Tertiary objectives in each mission. Primary objectives are worth 4 Mission Points, Secondary objectives are worth 3 Mission Points, and Tertiary objectives are worth 2 Mission Points. A player must earn more Mission Points than his or her opponent to win the game. Mission Points will be used to aid in pairing opponents and for tiebreakers.
Prizes Prizes based on attendance. Prizes awarded for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places, appearance, best sportsman, not dead yet, and more.
Be a Gentleman This event respects all aspects of the Warhammer 40,000 hobby: gaming, painting, modeling, and sportsmanship. Players are expected to conduct themselves as “proper gentlemen” even while wearing their game faces and slaughtering their foes. After all, the slaughter is all in the name of having fun and appreciating the skill and labor our fellow gentlemen (and ladies) have poured into their armies.
Players who cheat, collude, or who have otherwise violated the tournament rules may, at the discretion of the event organizer, have their scores modified or, in extreme cases, be ejected from the event entirely and rendered ineligible for any prizes.
Similarly, players who, in the judgement of the event organizer, demonstrate egregiously unsportsmanlike conduct may also have their scores modified or be ejected from the event.